Welcome

Your ticket to the vast world of beauty. Looking for something clean and polished? Wanting to experiment with something edgy? Either way, you've come to the right place.







Saturday, November 27, 2010

Nicki Minaj's Barbie Inspired Look from the 2010 American Music Awards

Hello again!

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was awesome! Now it's back to business for everyone. Well, at least it is for me.  I feel that I've been doing way too many low impact makeup looks, so here's a more dramatic one courtesy of Miss Nicki Minaj, rapper extraordinaire and, most of all, extreme beauty trendsetter. We've seen this Trinidadian bombshell rock a series of looks, from rainbow hair to her signature pink lips.  This look I'm featuring is one similar to what she did for the 2010 American Music Awards. She donned her usual pink lips this time, with a candy colored eye (green lids, light purple creases, and sky blue under eye liner). She sported falsies as always (you can do this if you wish; I chose to leave them out), and some thick liquid liner, which keeps the eyes from looking too bright. It comes together quite nicely on her. Mine is a little stronger looking in terms of color (for the eyes, I mean), but I keep true to the color scheme and use of liner.

Here's what I did:

A good word of advice when doing a more dramatic eye look that involves a great deal of shadow: do the eyes first. Whatever fallout comes can be more easily cleaned up. Prime eyes, then apply highlighting base. I used MAC Bare Study Cream Colour Base. The sky blue liner that I applied on the bottom lash line is from Korres. The green eyeshadow I foiled (added water to make the color more intense) and put on my lids only. The color is from Sephora (part of the Clubbing in Tokyo palette).  The light purple I then applied to my creases, and is from Sephora as well (from the Shopping in Milan palette). 

For a winged look, liquid liner can be hard to maneuver if you're not used to working with it. Gel or pencil liner is best because they are easier to control. I used MAC Blitz and Glitz Fluidline, which is a black gel liner with gold pearl. Apply it with a stiff liner brush and flick liner up at the ends. A brow brush would even be fine since the bristles are stiff enough to lend control. Just make sure to wash it before using it on brows.  On brows, I used my trusty MAC Lingering Eye Brows pencil

Even out skin with concealer and foundation, then apply a light pink blush. I used Utterly Chic by MAC. Then apply a light purplish-pink lipstick, which is Minaj's trademark shade. Nicki Minaj and MAC just collaborated on this particular shade. Called Pink Friday, it has already sold out the first day featured. It's only going to be sold a select number of Fridays, and it's probably going to sell out each and every time, so your best bet is to find a dupe. One that looks very much like this shade is Saint Germain by MAC. I combined MAC Angel lipstick with a Hemp Organics lipstick named Purple Haze for my look. It's not as in-your-face as Pink Friday or Saint Germain for sure. It's a more natural take on the pink lip Minaj likes to use.

More pictures after the jump:

1 comment: